Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Distractions

Are you easily distracted? Once upon a time, I was a very focused young lady. I had my list of "to-do's" and focused on getting my list accomplished it. I tend to do well with list - whether they are for cleaning, errands, schoolwork - I enjoy checking the box off to see the task completed. Once I became a mom, it has become harder for me to stay focused on my list. It seems that I am more easily distracted now. Not necessarily because of my son (perhaps I could use this excuse when he was a newborn, but he's TEN now!) -- there are lots of things I "should" have done this weekend -- a take-home history exam due Tuesday; a 10 pg research paper due May 3rd; a 7 pg research paper due May 10th; more cleaning... but instead I was distracted. I've put the take-home exam off which I may regret *ugh*.

As I sit in church on Sunday, it's hard not to notice some of the distractions. I try very hard to stay focused on our Pastor who has a specific purpose -- to deliver the Message that God has laid on his heart for us to receive. However, some Sundays it is harder than others -- paper rattling; people in front of you whispering; children crying; people looking around and you can "feel" they are looking in your direction; candy wrappers being opened; people yawning (or some snoring!).... you get the picture I think! There are SO MANY things that can distract us away from the Message. However, I think we need to try as hard as we can to put blinders on (as the picture above) and really focus our mind & heart on what we need to hear.

No comments: