Friday, August 9, 2013

Lions and Tigers and Bears and Yellow Jackets Oh My!

A couple of weeks ago, we were going to do some yard work.  I headed out a few minutes before super-husband to throw some limbs in the backyard over the fence.   One of them was rather large so I opened the back gate to throw it further into the woods.   As I tugged on the branch,  I felt something scratch my leg - assuming it was the branch - I readjusted and tugged some more.  I threw the branch into the woods and still felt the stinging on my leg.  I looked down and saw a yellow jacket & quickly swatted it off.  Suddenly, I felt more stinging and realized I had aggravated a yellow jacket's nest.  They were on my lower leg, my arm, and then I felt stings up my pant leg.  I panicked and started - yelping, crying, and swatting - all the while running toward the back door.  As I'm making my way to the back door, I realize until I get them beat off of me I can't go in because they will go in with me!   (By the way, this is all happening while super-husband is still inside getting his shoes on!)   I do what any crazy person would do -- start pulling clothes off as I go through the yard.  I run inside and go straight to the bathroom while my husband looks at me like I've lost my mind.  I'm crying and sobbing & can hardly get out the words to tell him what happened.  I was fortunate only to get bitten eight times and even more fortunate that I am NOT allergic to them.  In hindsight, the whole scenario was humorous!  

Yesterday, my neighbor walked over as soon as I pulled in the driveway to point out this...
Yes, it's a hornets, wasp, or stinging insect nest of some sort!   This is in our front yard.  Yes, we've called the professionals for this one folks.  Hoping they can take care of it for us.  :)

No comments: