Thursday, February 2, 2012

New Recipe

Happy Thursday!

I hope everyone is having a great week.  I trying to get back into the groove of work/home/school.  It will take me a week or two to get the right balance.  I wanted to share a new recipe I tried on Tuesday night.  Super easy!

Roasted Broccoli
(source: Food Network)

1 lb broccoli, rinsed & trimed
2 TBS Olive Oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced  (I'd even go for 3 next time)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/3 c. panko bread crumbs
1/4 c. parmesan cheese or shredded cheddar (we used cheddar this time, but I think parmesan would probably be better)

Directions


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Cut the broccoli florets into bite size pieces. Cut the stalk into 1/8-inch thick, round slices. Place the broccoli into a mixing bowl and toss with the olive oil, garlic, kosher salt and pepper and set aside.

Spread the panko into a 13 by 9-inch metal cake pan and place into the oven for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove the panko from the oven and add to the bowl with the broccoli mixture. Toss to combine. Return the mixture to the cake pan, place in the oven and roast just until the broccoli is tender, 8 to 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven, toss in the cheese and serve immediately.

SO, It was fabulous on Tuesday night - great low calorie side dish!   Super-husband was late, so it was not the best warmed up.  Tonight, I had one serving left - I hate to be wasteful, so I put on my resourceful hat.  :)   I took 2 eggs; 1 TBS of hormel bacon bits; 1/4 c. shredded cheddar & the leftover roasted broccoli and made an omelet.  And, let me tell you --- it was the absolute best (if I do say so myself!) add a side of center cut bacon and orange juice and dinner was complete.  You could definitely eliminate the cheddar cheese to reduce calories.

I'll be back with a weekly wrap-up on Sunday night!

No comments: