Friday, January 4, 2013

An Interesting Twist...

A New Year often brings the resolve to do better - whether it be with finance, health, emotional well-being, spirituality.  The possibilities are endless.  If I had to guess, I said the most popular are getting out of debt/reducing debt and losing weight.  Yesterday, I shared a tid-bit about saving money this year, so today I thought I would talk about losing weight.

Earlier this year,  I learned about Healthy Wage.  It was being promoted through our wellness department at work.  Essentially, you create a team of 5 individuals committed to losing weight.  You pay out money and compete against other teams over the course of several weeks.  The team with the highest percentage of weight loss wins a hefty cash prize split among the team.  You're literally competing against thousands of other people.  There are other details and competitions too - you can check the website for more details.

Today, I heard about Diet Bet.  It's a similar concept - the focus is losing weight.  Teams are not limited to 5 people.  The team organizer specifies the "bet" amount ($10 and up).   Unlike Healthy Wage,  winners are not limited to five member teams.  Essentially,  as the team grows the money pot does too.  Team members losing 4% of the starting weight will split the pot.  Obviously, the larger the team - the larger the bet - the larger the possible rewards.  Diet Bet runs for 4 week periods of time - Healthy Wage runs for around 12 weeks (maybe a little longer - again, please refer to websites for specifics).

Anyway, I've been thinking about the two a lot today and I'm considering joining a Diet Bet team or creating a team.  I'm always up for extra motivation for a healthier lifestyle.  What do you think about the new angle on "dieting" (I prefer "healthy lifestyle").

No comments: