Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Eve

For the past two years,  our New Year's Eve has been running a 5K at midnight through the Festival of Lights at Tanglewood.   I know that isn't everyone's ideal New Year's Eve, but for us it was great family time and seemed to be a perfect way to ring in the New Year.   Tonight, super-husband is working until 930p - so we opted not to do the 5K this year.  Instead, we'll be celebrating the New Year at home with a couple of friends  (assuming us old folks make it until midnight)   :)

I had to pick up groceries earlier and while I was out and about I stopped by the Goodwill Outlet.  Honestly, I didn't even know they had an outlet until this summer and this was my first time venturing in.  It's a Goodwill store with huge bins filled with miscellaneous merchandise.  (Note: make sure you have hand santizer or a pair of disposable gloves).  I didn't really see much that caught my eye - it truly is digging for a treasure.  BUT, I noticed toward the back of the store a lady unfolding what appeared to be a quilt.  She kept looking at it and I kept rummaging in the bins around her and eyeing the quilt myself.  It appeared to be in good shape and I could tell it was hand-stitched.  The minute she put it down - I walked right over!  I was pleasantly surprised -- it was super heavy; no hole, rips or tears; and while it did have a few spots on it - I didn't notice any weird smells.  LOL! 

At the Goodwill outlet, you pay by weight ($1.19/lb).  Since the quilt seemed quite heavy I was worried it would cost  more than I wanted to pay.  I kept texting a friend and she said BUY IT!    I was pleasantly surprised when it rang up for $1.19 plus tax.   Hopefully, I will find more frugal finds in 2013!

No comments: