Monday, September 22, 2008

92 Days until Christmas...


Seriously? Only 92 days - wow... I saw the sign posted on a doorway here in the office. So, I started thinking - what can we do differently this year? I'm voting for a cash-only Christmas. Ok - let me explain - that sounds like I'm asking for cash only gifts! No, no, no! Actually, I don't need a thing my family's health and happiness are good enough for me.

BUT, we have decided to buy with cash only this year - no plastic! I realize for most people that's not a big deal, but we are trying very hard to adhere to a budget and move toward being debt-free. So - this is a BIG baby-step for us. (I'm waiting on the library to call and tell me the Dave Ramsey book is ready for me to pick-up!).

This next question - where will the money come from? Well, super-husband started a new job in July. We are having money from each paycheck put into a Medical Care Expenses account (they take the money out pre-tax; we submit receipts and are reimbursed for what we've spent). If we hold all our receipts until the end of November, we will be able to submit a little over $300 which will be back just in time for holiday shopping. "Santa" has a Best Buy gift card that he will be using to pay for most of super-son's BIG item.

Do you have money-saving tips for Christmas? I'd love to hear about them!

No comments: