Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

I was a bit of a procrastinator in getting prepared for Thanksgiving this year.  No particular reason - just lots of different things going - maybe I was stressed, but like always it all came together in the end.

For the past two years, I have participated in our local "Turkey Strut".   After awhile the race registrations add up, so I didn't register this year.  All along I thought I would do a 5K through our neighborhood, we have a nice route.  Thanksgiving morning came and I had a million things still left on the to-do list:  make deviled eggs; make fruit salad;  (oh, did I mention I hadn't been to the grocery store yet?!); clean kitchen; vacuum house... and on and on.   Super husband and super son were busy trying to gather the leaves that had fallen last week - for some reason they always accumulate around the front of our house and get tracked inside.   We're all making nice progress - gotta love TEAMWORK - before I realize it, it's noon and we're done!  Our guests aren't arriving until 5p, so I have plenty of time.  And then the excuses begin --

  • I've worked hard this morning - I should relax until company arrives.
  • What if the virtual 5K times are posted like last year?  Then, I'll feel defeated b/c I'm sure I will be slower than last year.
  • I can do it tomorrow when I don't have any plans.
  • Still struggling with what the "right" thing to do for my back.
You see where this was going right?  Several friends started posting on Facebook about what a fun time they had on Turkey Trots, Gobble Wobbles, etc and I said ENOUGH is ENOUGH.  And headed out for my own 5K.

And, in under 48 minutes it was DONE!

No comments: