Saturday, October 22, 2011

Boot Camp

GIMME 20 NOW!   LET'S GO!   Is having someone yell at you at the top of their lungs your idea of boot camp?  Or visions of Jillian & Bob?   Yeah, mine too.  Neither of which I find appealing  (don't get me wrong I love Biggest Loser, but I'm not a fan of the yelling during workouts).  

Over the past year,  I've been walking with one friend who then became two friends.  We started out with 2 miles / 2 days per week and then we went to 3 miles / 3 days per week.  It's been AWESOME to have the accountability otherwise it would be really easy to hit snooze at 5am.   Lately, I've felt like I needed more than 3 miles, because it's not as challenging any more.  I had hoped to move into intervals, but some days I'm motivated to run/walk and others I'm not.

For several months, I've noticed a boot camp near where we walk and it's going on at the same time we are walking.  On Monday, we stopped by and asked some questions & the instructor invited us to give it a try on Wednesday.   Wednesday brought rain - BOO!   On Friday, I was ready to go!   Unfortunately, neither of my exercise buddies made it, but I went and I was so glad I did.

It was hands-down one of the hardest workouts I've had in months (possibly years).  It challenged me not only physically but mentally as well.  There was no one yelling in my face trying to break me down, but someone encouraging me and telling me I can do this - keep pushing - you're doing awesome!   Even though I have been cardio - this pushed me so much further on many levels. I'm so glad I went and I can't wait to go back on Monday!

Are you in a rut with your current fitness routine?  If so, I would encourage you to try something out of your comfort zone?  You'll be glad you did.   :)

No comments: