Thursday, October 2, 2008

Anxiety

By definition, anxiety means 1 a: painful or apprehensive uneasiness of mind usually over an impending or anticipated ill b: fearful concern or interest c: a cause of anxiety2: an abnormal and overwhelming sense of apprehension and fear often marked by physiological signs (as sweating, tension, and increased pulse), by doubt concerning the reality and nature of the threat, and by self-doubt about one's capacity to cope with it.

Geesh - just by definition it seems like something we would want to steer away from huh? So, why do we get ourselves tangled into the mess? I've had several anxious moments over the past 6-8 months. For some reason, this week a couple have weighed exceptionally hard on me. Last night at church, imagine my surprise when the pastor spoke on -- you guessed it? Anxiety! If there was every a time that I felt like a message was prepared for no one else but me - that was it! I was on the verge of tears for the timeliness of the message - I almost talked myself out of going last night. "I needed a mental break." Imagine the blessing I would have missed had I stayed at home.

The message centered around Phillipians 4:6-7. There was no exceptionally profound theological message - just some basic nuts and bolts. I pray that God will help me stay focused on the message last night and what I need to do, so HE can do his work in me.

No comments: