We aren't certain, but we think the previous owners removed the shower/tub combo and replaced it with a shower stall. I know brass was the "in" thing in the mid 80's but I wasn't digging it too much. Aside from that, no matter how hard I tried - the caulk at the bottom was nearly impossible to keep clean as was the shower basin. The whole project got started because super-son was heading to overnight camp for the first time and this momma needed something to keep her busy.
First step, remove all the caulk, clean with non-ammonia cleaner, followed by bleach... allow to dry really well and then recaulk. Sounds relatively easy, but I'm not going to lie - most of the caulk came up relatively easy - but any residue on the wall was very hard to remove (sharp edge, goo-gone, you name it - I probably tried it). We had lived with it looking less than stellar anyway - so I did the best I could and moved on. Next, I patched the wall to the left of the shower stall - at some point there had been a small leak and fortunately, it wasn't ongoing and didn't cause significant damage.
Next up paint -- walls, ceiling, and trim. It's been really hard to get good pictures of the room. The before color was fairly neutral - beige with yellowish undertones - it went well with the brass if that's your thing. :) I wanted to go with Sherwin Williams Ice Cube - it was a very light grey - white with a hint of gray. After painting a small area, I realized I loved the color - but needed a little more grey. Back to Sherwin Williams (always excellent customer service by the way) and they added to make it more like Olympus Gray.
Plan A: We looked at Kohls, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Target and Walmart online and finally agreed on a shower curtain we both liked. Only to realize, standard shower curtains are 72 inches in length - the shower stall was 74 inches itself -- back to square one. Plan B: I found out Bed, Bath, and Beyond online carries special size shower curtains and we agreed on one -- only to find out it was backordered and out of stock. There wasn't alot to choose from - so plan C. Find a high thread count sheet -- accent with grosgrain ribbon and have our embroidered with our monogram. I stopped in at Home Goods to see what I could find - measurements in hand. And stumbled across the perfect pattern for us - only it wasn't a shower curtain. Plan D: A lightweight twin XL duvet color was the perfect length and I loved the pattern!
The towel holder, toilet paper holder, hinges, and light fixture were all brass... but nothing that a little Krylon couldn't fix! Worked perfectly on the hinges & light fixture. We had a towel holder and toilet paper holder under the sink that previous owners had left (uhh 11 years ago).
And a couple more pictures of the finished room - wish I could get a better picture! We hung the tension rod at the ceiling and the room appears taller.
In addition, I repaired a pesky drip from the shower head - thanks to Google, YouTube, and my pal, Sally. :)